Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Of Kie-Kies and Lovies: love at first nite-nite

I had a conversation with Cole this week about the blanket that he carried as a baby, the same one he still sleeps with today. we talked about where it came from and how it was his uncle Justin's when he was a little boy. Cole nodded his head and proudly announced that he didn't need kie kie to sleep with him at night anymore. Fast forward a few days to 230 am this morning when a very upset 5 year old enters our bedroom, crying that he cannot find kie kie. Make up your mind kiddo!

Both of my boys have had a comfort item. That thing that they just had to have to play, to eat, to sleep. I remember lugging around Cole's blanket when he was young and being a little disgruntled that everywhere we went kie-kie came too. Wasn't it enough that I had to carry a bag big enough to fit a small child filled with all the necessary items for a baby, 2 jackets, but also a blanket ta boot? We never lost kie-kie, I was too afraid of the consequences, but we left him in familiar places plenty. Thankfully he was always retrievable.

When Brooks became attached to a small piece of fabric also known as a burp cloth, that was okay with me. It was small and most of all replaceable if lost! It was easy to clean and of course, it gave him comfort. What is it about these things that seem to replace us parents at times? I know I am thankful for them. Not only do they provide peace in our house, at least when we can find them, but they are wonderful keepsakes for my boys.

No comments: