Tuesday, October 20, 2009

And Then There Were Two

Our family of three has officially expanded to a family of four! The birth of our second son, Brooks Logan, began on Saturday night shortly after Craig and I had finished watching a movie. In his usual fashion, the baby was very active that night and I wasn't quite sure if I was uncomfy due to his movement or something else! It became clearer as the night went on that although irregular, those were indeed contractions. I encouraged Craig to try and get some sleep, just in case! At about 3 a.m. the contractions got heavy enough to start breathing through them. I could still talk through them so I called the midwife on duty and she assured me that we still had lots of time and that I should try and get some rest until everything got really regular and really uncomfortable. It didn't take long! By 5 a.m. I was really sure "this was it" and called in my mom to care for Cole. Craig and I arrived at the hospital shortly after 6 a.m. and by that time contractions were every 2-3 minutes and intense. I think I had 5 while I tried to fill out the paperwork at the L&D counter! Once I finally got to a room, I was 8cm dilated and it was nearly showtime....too late for any Nubane and since I didn't want an epidural, things were only going to get more painful. Craig was a great coach and we found a position that got us both through the more painful contractions. Before I knew it, it was time to push and Brooks fought his way into the world in 10 minutes from the time I started pushing! He weighed a hefty 7lbs 7 oz and was 21" long. It was very surprising to me considering I only gained 15 lbs the entire pregnancy...where was he hiding?

Cole unfortunately had to meet his new brother the next day in the lobby of the hospital, due to very strict visitation policies caused by the H1N1 flu. In the car he commented how small his new brother was and how cute :) I think they got off to just the right start. Today, Tuesday, Cole got to tell his preschool class that he's a new big brother. We hear from his teacher that he told his friends with great enthusiasm and the typical Cole fluttering of hands and hopping up and down.

No comments: